Dad in his new robe from Marlene

Monday, January 31, 2011

Hi Kids

Monday afternoon and we are ready for our cup of tea. Yesterday’s cold temperatures were a good excuse to stay home and just relax. Dad was fighting a low grade fever and thought it best not to go to church. When I saw it was -32C, I decided to stay home too. And we went back to bed and slept another two hours. Around 12:30 pm, Richard came to drop off a CD from the morning’s sermon, so of course we invited them in for coffee and a time to get connected. Later that afternoon, Don had another visitor for tea. From the response of all those who phone, email, send cards & flowers, we are not short of support. And all the messages are so encouraging, referencing us back to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. What would we do without him.

Dad had a restless sleep last night, having a lot of pain. I think it was a combination of doing his exercises too much, and not wanting to become dependent on pain killers. Tonight I will make sure he takes them, so we can both get a good night’s sleep. Finally after midnight, he fell into a sound sleep, and so did I. The alarm went off at it usual time at 6:15 am. I rolled over and woke up again at 8 am; both of us felt much rested.

Once a month, a group of ladies go out for breakfast. It’s an event that I look forward to, and even -25C couldn’t keep me away. While the car was getting warmed up, our good neighbour Roy took the time to clean off all the snow and ice. Am I spoiled? It is so nice to connect with other women, sharing joys and concerns, tidbits of knowledge as some have been on the path that I am now venturing for the first time. And we continue to share our dreams for the future.

Afterwards, I picked up Dad as he needed to go to the Immigration Office to verify when his family landed in Canada. This is needed for him to apply for his old age pension, even though he has a birth certificate. When we got to the forks, found a parking spot and got out of the car, Dad asked me where the envelope that contained his documentation was. It was at home on the table. I did not realize it was needed, and he assumed I was taking it with me. No sense in getting frustrated, so we got back in the car and finished off the other errands on our way home. One advantage of leaving him in the car when I run in, is returning to a nice warm car, LOL.

When we got home, we both felt tired and took another nap. It’s now tea time. I want to leave you with a reflection received from Ida Mutoigo, director of CRWRC, from a book called "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. She writes from the perspective of God talking to us in reference to passages from Psalm 18:29, Psalm 91:11-12 and 2 Corinthians 5:7:

"Follow me one step at a time. That is all I require of you. In fact, that is the only way to move through this space/time world. You see huge mountains looming, and you start wondering how you're going to scale those heights. Meanwhile, because you're not looking where you are going, you stumble on the easy path where I am leading you now. As I help you get back on your feet, you tell Me how worried you are about the cliffs up ahead. But you don't know what will happen today, much less tomorrow. Our path may take an abrupt turn, leading you away from those mountains. There may be an easier way up the mountains than is visible from this distance. If I do lead you up the cliffs, I will equip you thoroughly for that strenuous climb. I will even give My angels charge over you, to preserve you in all your ways. Keep your mind on the present journey, in My presence. Walk by faith, not by sight, trusting Me to open up the way before you."

Love, Mom & Dad

1 comment:

  1. Thats some real wisdom you gleaned from Ida's meditation. One day at a time, one step at a time, savoring the good things we can celebrate in the moments we're given. I hear you celebrating the chances to rest and get naps, the cups of tea together. May you enjoy your naps and your tea, and good company when you're ready for it:-)

    ReplyDelete