Dad in his new robe from Marlene

Monday, February 14, 2011

Long Road Ahead;

The visit with Dr. Dao went well today. I feel that she is a very competent doctor. The cancer is medium aggressive and thus must be treated. Lymphoma is a cancer of the blood but the type I have is common and good treatment is available. The cure rate is high and we look forward to returning to our regular life style at some future date.

However the process is long and, starting next week, I will have to go for chemo every three weeks for six months. The drugs can damage the veins so they will put a long tube into the veins and it will stay there for the six months. I will most likely take off work the week I am in treatments. The weeks I work will be part-time as I am exhausted after working a half a day.

The drugs also attack the white blood cells and that means my immunity will be down; a 38 degree fever means a trip to the hospital. No trips to the US during this time or three months after the treatment. So, if we want to see the children and grandchildren they will have to come to us. Charles, Angela and the kids are here now so the visiting process has begun.

Once the routine starts, there will be few changes and there may be less to write about. Thank you for your continued support. The outlook is much better now than at first but we have a long way to go. Please continue to keep us in your prayers.

Dad/Uncle/Don

1 comment: